Mid Carolina Radio

WFRC

WFRC was licensed in 1947 on 1600 with studios at the corner of South Scales and Gilmer in downtown Reidsville. Power was 1,000 watts with a three tower antenna system used at night. In the daytime, only the center tower carried the signal.  H.T. Williams was President of Piedmont Carolina Broadcasting and W.E. Williams was General Manager. WFRC’s first Program Director was Chuck Perron, and George Anderson was Commercial Manager. The owners moved the studios and offices to the transmitter site on Highway 87 west of town in the early 1970s.

New owners changed the call letters to WKXQ in late 1979. The calls were changed again  in 1982. The old call letters of WFRC were not available at the time, so the station became known as WRNC. Wright Broadcasting took over WRNC in April 1985. In 1987 after going dark for a few months then returning as a daytime only station, the station’s license was surrendered to the FCC. 1600 in Rockingham County remains silent to this day (2011).

Please  CONTACT US   with your information about WFRC/WKXQ/WRNC.

 (photo courtesy of Rick Freeman)

Website Builder