Mid Carolina Radio

WBBB

(UPDATED JULY 2014) 


WBBB was Alamance County’s first radio station and began broadcasting  from studios at 310-312 South Main Street  upstairs over Lamb's Clothing  on September 15, 1941. The  building is no longer standing. The station was a thousand watts daytime and its frequency was 920. In 1952, power was increased to 5000 watts. The tower was on Tower Drive just off West Front Street from the station's beginning.

V. Wilton Lane was CEO of Alamance Broadcasting Corporation. A well-known name in Burlington broadcasting history, E.Z. “Easy”Jones, was Sales Manager and Paul Huddleston was the station’s first Program Director. Bob Ray became Station Manager in 1968.

In 1963, the studios were moved to the 6th floor of the Alamance Hotel (the building in the background in the picture on the left), then into a new stucco building at the tower location in 1974. Alamance Broadcasting owned the station until 1972 until it and WBBB-FM were sold to Brilt Pilbey Inc.
Two years later, Kau Radio Stations Inc. became the newest owners, and the move was made from downtown Burlington to Tower Drive.

 

The station continued through the years with various formats until the call letters were taken by a Raleigh FM facility on January 28, 1998. Today 920 carries the call sign WPCM, which was formerly used by its then sister FM station.  WPCM added WPCM-FM, an FM translator at 95.1, in 2013.

Please CONTACT US with your information about WBBB.

(photo courtesy of Don Bolden)

 

Website Builder