Mid Carolina Radio

WBAG

Burlington Graham Broadcasting got its start February 24, 1947 as WFNS with studios upstairs beside the State Theater on Andrews Street in downtown Burlington.   In 1951, the station moved to the second floor in the Patterson Building at the corner of Maple Avenue and Broad Street. Its call letters were changed to WBAG in 1964, which stood for “We’re Burlington and Graham.” The format became Top 40 in 1965, which ushered in a new era of popularity for the station.

 

By 1974, the studios and offices were relocated to a new building at 939 South Main Street as the station made the transition from “The Big 1150” to “Stereo 94 WBAG” as FM became dominant in music formats. In 1979, WBAG-AM became WQRB when the FCC mandated separate programming for AM-FM  combos. Burlington Graham Broadcasting was sold to the Village Companies in 1983, and the new owners moved the FM facility to Raleigh.  Falcon Communications bought WQRB and changed the call letters back to WBAG-AM, and owned the station from 1983 to 1993, operating in Executive Plaza on North Mebane Street.

 

After other ownership changes, Gray Broadcasting LLC purchased WBAG in 2000 and built new studios and offices at the tower location on Burch Bridge Road.  It continues to operate from there today (2011), providing local programming to Alamance County.

Please CONTACT US  with your information about WBAG/WQRB.

Website Builder